Dearest Friends and Family
I am here with our beloved Sage Hilary...
the sun is setting over the new hampshire valley
Sage's ventilator rhythmic and reassuring
her little feet and small hands rest on the pillows in front of me
the evening shift is beginning and the nurses and respiratory therapists return with a freshness for those of us here at DHMC. We have grown to know and appreciate their warmth and care.
I write to you this evening to thank you with my whole heart for your unwavering support for our family. We, like you, check this blog or our emails regularly to find comfort from your loving wishes and words of hope....we know you are with us.
I attended mass this morning celebrated by a Jesuit here at DHMC. He spoke of faith and what it means to be a believer. To believe is to be in relationship, he explained. My mind wandered to you dear ones: your friendship, the relationship I have with each of you.
I have walked with Sage through the dark valley, recited Dylan Thomas' beautiful words (written to his father), and lent heavily on my faith...my relationship with God...it is all of you who have given me that faith...we have prayed with Sage and for Sage. Otto thank you for baptising Sage, bringing her into the faith community, a child of the light…to Bill and Brian and Scott my Jesuit friends who have strengthened my faith and to each of you who have cared so much....
hugs to each of you, life is precious
blessings and peace
Hilary
xoxo
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 I am not a bible scholar, but this verse stuck with me after our reverend spoke on the same subject at our service yesterday. And she also emphasized the importance of relationships in strengthening faith. During the service my mind wandered (I am sorry to report)to the community around Sage who is supporting her through their faith.Is it a coincidence or a miracle itself that we have all been brought together by her under a very faith challenging circumstance? Through our efforts at providing her strength, we have been strengthened ourselves through the love and support we provide one another. Hilary, in all of the anguish of the past several days,you have found the blessing and it is each other. We continue our prayers for Sage. Love, Beth
ReplyDeleteIt is in a time like this that each of us gets an opportunity to examine what faith means to us. And I realized that my willingness to pray and send light and love to Sage; to invite others from my community who don't know Sage or Sophie to do the same has been a remarkable chance to dig deeper into my beliefs and come face to face with my own relationship with the Universe/God/Goddess/Spirit. I feel closer to you all in the circle supporting Sage each time I look there and know that I send my prayers in support of you! May the mystery of this illness become clearer today so the doctors will know how to proceed to help Sage! xo Carol
ReplyDeleteGreat to meet you Hilary! I am so glad you are there for Sophie, Sage, and the rest of the gang, providing such a capable and warm bridge between the medical world and those who love Sage.
ReplyDelete