This night is quiet and the sounds of Sage's room are oddly comforting. She sleeps so peacefully and looks so calm. Her hands are thankfully warm and the numbers - always the numbers to watch - have been stable even in the instability and uncertainty of the 'right now' of her condition. Peter Rabbit is peeking over the other edge of the bed, fierce protector as always. He is on Sage's left side and I sit by her right. Her night music is on - sounds of the ocean. Her day music has the sounds of the rainforest. The shifts in sounds help her on some deeper level (I am told) to maintain the rhythm of the light and the dark, the sun rising and setting, the tides rising and falling. Perhaps this brings comfort.
This is the time of night most difficult for me, 1-3 a.m. I let my guard down, I relax into the silence, only to sense something lurking on the edges. The doubt, the unknown, the uncertainty, the panic. There's also something else there, which I can only describe as a fear of being afraid. It makes me mad! I don't want it! and yet I realize all I have to do is tweak it a bit, to transform it into a fearlessness at being afraid, and it just might just work.
Sagey Sage. She is so so beautiful and brilliant. Perfect eyebrows, long lashes, nose in profile curved up just a bit, ever so impishly. Long slender fingers and golden hair thankfully braided by her loving aunties. What a girl.
She is most definitely in charge; I think the extraordinary people who now grace our lives with their care of Sage, well they're seeing that appearances can be most deceiving. Sage may be small but she is loud. Determined. Bold. Feisty. Fierce. Full of piss and vinegar, as they say. If you mess with her, you're going to know it, so pay attention!
Again I thank you so much for walking this path with us. Your thoughtful words, loving prayers, heartfelt wishes, **positive energy** and deep love for Sage and everything and everyone connected with her - well it's hard to express my gratitude. I know that Sage is going to be alright. I also know that it is going to be quite a path and process. I also know that God, like Sage, is in charge of this one, and that more than that, love rules the day. End of story. Punto final. That's just the way it is: Love reigns and rains.
Before signing off with this post, I wish to share a snippet from that day unlike any other - Thursday the 29th of July. I had been at Sage's bedside at Brattleboro Hospital since the early hours of that morning (the late hours of Wednesday night) when I had first arrived at 12:37 a.m. Quite specific that time, 37 minutes after the hour of midnight - but that was the time when I first saw her, meeting her as I rounded the corner and she was in a wheelchair, being taken down for a chest x-ray. She was coughing and the color of her skin and overall state sucker-punched me. Oh God, I breathed. I knew, just knew, that something was not right.
The next six hours were sleepless, fitful and consistently alarming for me. My brain was screaming for logic and yet couldn't find it: I was witnessing freefall of Sage's health and yet no one else seemed overly or overtly concerned. Did they not see it? notice it? were they not alarmed? was I even there? Was this what was meant by a 'Kafkaesque' novel??
I tried not to panic, but as I continued to count Sage's rate of breathing at 40-45 breaths per minute (the norm is 12-20) and listened to her continuous cough, the rattling in her chest, her complaining of being cold and then throwing off the covers, something shifted. The world wobbled on its axis, Sage and I listed to the left, and we began to dive.
I called my sister Hilary at 6:30 a.m. Hilla, I said, you need to talk to this doctor. They're saying Sage has pneuomia and is now a patient of the special care unit (read ICU) not just placed there upon admission due to the numbers.
By 10 a.m. the call had been made to transfer Sage to DHMC. The helicopter was on its way and I was told Sage would need to be intubated. No, I prayed, no no no no, anything but that, please - I know what that means. Please not that, but Hilla said to me, you've got to get her out of there. Do it. Make sure they start vancomycin before she leaves. Don't let Sage leave without it being started.
Okay. Right. Got it. Vancomycin.
Sage had said earlier in the night, when I asked her how she felt, that it was like being in a briar patch. (Gee whiz Bug!! Who likens pulmonary distress and beyond to a briar patch??!) As I listen to her rattle and cough, however, I see that Sage has got it absolutely right. Briar patch. Thorny. Annoying. Won't let you go. Have to go really slow and place your foot ever so consciously and cautiously to get out of it. Doesn't take you down completely but the path out is uncomfortable, painful, a bit nerve-wracking.
The doctor who comes in to sedate and intubate Sage tells me in no uncertain terms to leave. I tell him in no uncertain terms that I'm not going anywhere.
I turn to Sage and take her hand. It's time. What's happening, she says. What's going on.
Sagey listen Bug. You're going to another hospital by helicopter because you're pretty sick. And you need to be intubated, which means you'll have a tube inside down toward your lungs so they can take a break. The machine is going to help you breathe. This doctor is going to give you some medicine so you can fall asleep. Don't worry, okay Bug? just don't worry. You're going to be alright.
The doctor puts a mask over Sage's nose and mouth. I watch the vapors of the sedative spring into action, curling around her nostrils and lips. I can't breathe! she shouts through the mask. I can't breathe! The vapors keep moving, Sage looks up and her eyes close.
She gets lifted onto a gurney for transport to the helicopter. Where's the vancomycin, show me where it is. It's pumping, I'm shown, it's going, it's starting its magic. Sage has what she needs for right now.
Sage and the briar patch. Keep walking Sage, one step at a time Sagey Sage. Right there with you.

Thank you for painting these pictures, for sharing your world and Sages world.It means so much to know how she's doing. How you're doing. love to you xoxoo
ReplyDeleteConstantly in my thoughts Sophie. Thank God for Hilary. My heart and eyes are full as I read this. Keep up the fight.
ReplyDeleteyour words are beautiful Sophie. You are the best mum Sage could ever have. keep being strong she feels it! Much love to you and your family.
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing with us your inner most thoughts - I only wish that we could be with you for that 1 - 3 am shift. I can only imagine what you are going through with your gorgeous daughter. The path out of the briar patch will be clear soon! xo Carol & Peter Vickers in Victoria, BC (our last get together was in North Van!)
ReplyDeleteSoph, Hang in there, being the amazin' Mom you are for your most special girl. Medical-wise, it all sounds better. Spiritually, it all IS better!! An ICU patient that has a loving, caring, and positive family surrounding them is, in my experience, one of the best predictors of outcome there is in our field. Athos Rassias, one of the critical care docs that works at DHMC, is a former colleague of ours from our Boston-Brigham and Women's days, you may run into him as one of Sages' docs....
ReplyDeleteAll of our hopes and prayers from Venice
St in Arlington are with you....we Will have that impromptu, come-as-you-are dinner date soon!!!
XXOO from Kathy, Peter, Kase and Yo-han
Love,love,love and positive thoughts go your way each day all through the day and into dreams. You are doing everything right with the positive attitude, along with your families love and support, to see this through. Hope, hope, hope.
ReplyDeleteXXXOOO Audrey
I love this post Sophie. Thank you for being so honest and descriptive. It let’s us all be there in the room and in the moment with you and Sage. Today on my way to the subway I sat down on a park bench and visualized Sages body filling with a healing light that shot out from her head and her finger tips. Yup, now you know the truth: I’m a crazy California hippie at heart. You can take the girl out of Berkeley but you can’t take the Berkeley out of the girl.
ReplyDeleteLove to the Bug! You know I am thinking of you all every minute.
thank you for sharing so much with all of us. Wendel and I send our love and (my prayers) to you all. Somehow we feel that Sage will get through this, though the journey will be hard. Our love to you, Timothy, as you sit and vigil--we are thinking of you, Sophie, Sage, all day long.
ReplyDeleteThis is from my cousin Muriel who asked me to pass this on, because as she explains, she does not blog:
ReplyDeletePlease convey my good thoughts. I do not blog so I am asking you to send my get well wishes. Love, Muriel
Sophie - Such beautiful words, your generosity in sharing with the followers of this blog is incredibly impressive given the difficult time Sage, you, and your entire family are going through. Additional Hogan prayers and positive energy for Sage's swift journey out of the brier patch and back to you, healthy, smiling with bunny in hand.
ReplyDeleteRick (Audrey's son) & Robin
Thank you Sophie!
ReplyDeleteYou and Sage are well loved here in Oakland Ca. Our prayers and positive energy are coming your way. Be goddess strong for your baby! Love you!
Rob Limon and family
Sophie thank you for sharing the 1-3 shift with us. I wish I could be there with you too.
ReplyDeleteYou are incredible strong, Sophie, and so is Sage.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if they'd allow it, but have you thought of having a full spectrum light source on her during the day? I understand there have been some studies about the importance of that (as compared to being under the fluorescent hospital lights). When my dad took 3 weeks (instead of 5 days) to recover from cardiac surgery, I brought in a full spectrum light (have to ask permission, probably). If you're interested, I could try to find the study that I'd heard about.
Dear Sage,
ReplyDeleteI saw you today. You were so small. I held your hand and updated you on some gossip. I don't know what happened after because we were ushered out, but I'd like to think that you heard me. I met your family. They are so nice, and strong, and warm. They are inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing your family with me and allowing me to meet them! They are absolutely wonderful! You are a lucky girl, Sage, because you have got a beautiful family. I can't wait for the day that you will be able to meet mine.
Love Always,
Arielle
For The Love of Sage had me in tears and had me revisit so many familiar feelings - even for us, when there was no hope, there was love and it truly did conquer all. The laughter, the tears, the fear, the bravado, the hope, the joy, the grace - expressed so beautifully, because of the love. May all the blessings continue to rain down on you.....pour down on you and may you find comfort there, in the truth, in the love. Sweet dreams.xxxx
ReplyDeleteDear Sophie
ReplyDeleteWe just got word of Sage's illness and we are sending you much love love love , big deep breathes and positive energy.
Thank you for sharing " Sage's Journey" with us all.... are prayers are with you and your family.
Much love Tina, Walter, Misha, Sasha and Tamara
Sophie, thank you for taking us on your journey with you - painting the emotional pictures. Each of resonating in our own way with the fears, hopes, strength, and faith you share with us. Holding for you and Sage, Nathan and Mark. Holding in loving and sending sweet Light and visions of gentle healing and peace filled recovery. Much love, Sindy
ReplyDelete