Monday, August 9, 2010

day 12, noon update

Dear friends,
Today, Monday, brings a new week and a new intensivist (the icu doctor in charge of her care team). Many thanks to the Doctor who has cared for Sage for the past two weeks: his compassionate care of Sage since her admission to DHMC saw us through the early, terrifying days and more than a few bumps in the road since then. Sage welcomed the new intensivist to her case with a left pneumothorax early this morning (a left lung "air leak" which left untreated would cause collapse of that lung). Her team showed up and got right to work. They placed a left chest tube that reinflated her left lung. With time the "leak" will seal on its own. This is considered a complication of being on a ventilator—one of the many hurdles that Sage has cleared thus far, and most likely not the last in front of her. This complication will slow her weaning process from the ventilator; we will have to remain patient, steady, calm.
Other issues: her WBC is essentially unchanged—slightly elevated. She remains fever-free, which is good. We will be repeating the abdominal ultrasound today to reevaluate her liver and pancreas.
The essential short term plan plan is to hunker down, hold the line, remain patient, stay calm, and maintain her support after the pneumothorax of this morning.

The postal desk reports that Sage has received the most mail of anyone in the hospital, beginning last week with a massive sampler of ghiradelli chocolates from her cousin kira in san francisco, to a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the summer program she was attending at the time she took ill, to postcards, letters, get well cards, photographs of her dog, drawings and miraculous medals from Pepa. Thank you all, dear friends and loved ones, for your ongoing support and prayers. Thanks also to the staff here at DMHC, who have been unfailingly kind and gentle in their work with Sage, and phenomenally patient with the small (and sleep-deprived!) army of family members who have been in her room, camping out in the hospital, and wandering about the beautiful, soul-restoring grounds here. God bless you all.

17 comments:

  1. Dear Sophie,
    I only just found out today about Sage's health. I had no idea. So I've been catching up and reading your blog. I will keep Sage in my thoughts every day and bring forth positive, healing energy for her, and for you too! Your words of wisdom through challenging times only serves to inspire us all and do what is right - live life to the fullest because it is so precious, treat everyone with gentleness, kindness and love. Miracles do happen!
    Sage will be in my prayers.
    with all my love,
    Laurey (Coralie's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you love and prayers from Berkeley, Ca. We are checking the blog several times and day and staying right with you all. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Much love always, Brennan, Chris, Isaiah and Imani..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Sage's from Guilford. Last night was the first I heard of her condition, and I sent a prayer request out to my choir, The Kuumba Singer of Harvard College, over our email list. One of the responses I received back gave me some serious perspective and hope and I thought I should share it.

    "I was then reading some of the blog Sage's family is keeping, and was suddenly hugely reassured to hear that she's being treated at DHMC. When I was in high school, my best friend's boyfriend was riding his motorcycle helmetless and struck a car head-on at 60 mph. He flew over the car and landed head-first on the ground. The first two hospitals he went to said that he had no chance of survival, but then he went to DHMC and they saved him. It's an incredible place Martha, and if anybody can pull Sage through this it's the doctors there :) "

    I am continuing to keep Sage in my thoughts and check this blog regularly for updates. I cannot wait to see her when she pulls through all of this, I think it will be remarkable to see an already strong person get so much stronger, as I know she will when this is all said and done.

    Love,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie - You and Sage are in my daily thoughts and prayers - I check the blog for updates and continue to be inspired by the circle of love around you.
    Louise and I send our love too... Kris Mize

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Strawberry Creek Friends Meeting is holding Sage in the LIGHT!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Susan A. Grand

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am holding my breath! Thank you for the blog to keep the communication current. Love is streaming to you from far and wide. All of my love to you!!
    Love, Light, Healing and Breathing!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage, we're thinking about you every day, sending lots of love and support to you and your family. You're a strong young woman with a heart full of hope and a head full of dreams just waiting to take on the world.

    *big lingering hug*
    Sunee + Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots and lots of love from all of us at Guilford College: Sage is one of my close friends and she's an absolutely amazing person--I'm keeping her in my thoughts every day and hoping she's being just as feisty as we all know her to be. Good luck your way, Sage. You inspire us all
    Love,
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I had the wonderous pleasure of meeting and becoming good friends with Sage this past year at Guilford college. Sage is definitely unforgetable..this girl absolutely makes my day and has the glorious ability to make ANYONE laugh their fricken heads off. I heard about the news today which was shocking as I was just talking with her about her crazy summer adventures and her job at the icecream shop where she told me she was gonna come back to Guilford wider then she is tall haha.
    I have something to ask the family of Sage tho...I've been reading through the blogs and see that the source of her infection is still unknown. Have you considered Lyme Disease and other tick born diseases as a possible cause? Has Sage possibly had a tick bite or Rash maybe to rule it out? It is very difficult to diagnose and maybe it's not the cause but I just had to say something just in case it could be the answer. My mother is a registered nurse and has been battling lyme for the past 10 years so if you want to contact us I would be MORE then happy. We are sending our prayers Love you Sage, and I am looking forward to seeing you soon!!! XOXO Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the medical updates...my thoughts remain with you all and this amazing family of friends. I feel such respect and admiration for this circle of people I am "holding hands" with across the continents - a circle of love around Sage and all that are near her each day caring for her. We keep marching to that beat of her strong heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. candles lit for sage and family on
    gratefulness.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about staying calm... Pneumothorax sounds like a rather terrifying event to me, at least outside a hospital- yet you are able to see it as just a minor set back. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At a family wedding this weekend, we heard:
    " Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
    I thought of the circle upon circle of faithful protectors around Sage pumping that love in as the ventilator infuses her with oxygen.
    I also envisioned that it was Sage celebrating her wedding - Sage all healed, all recovered, radiant and happy, surrounded by all those loving ones who trusted her back into life.

    God bless you, Sage.
    God bless you, Sophie.
    God bless you, incredible Don and Pineo families and boundless friends from all over the place upholding this precious life.
    May the circle be unbroken~~
    Margaret ( Tooter)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope the day was calm. Loving light from California.

    Katie, Jon, Brian & Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending love and light from Chris, Don and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sophie, I have just heard about Sage's illness through my pal Catherine Langston here in Severna Park. I am sending Sage, you and your family my positive energy and prayers for a full recovery. Big hugs to you all, Livie McCleary

    ReplyDelete
  17. So now we all need some patience..... let these be the patient days, then.... it made me think of this poem from Elizabeth Barrett Browning...

    Patience Taught By Nature

    By Elizabeth Barrett Browning

    "O dreary life!" we cry, "O dreary life!"
    And still the generations of the birds
    Sing through our sighing, and the flocks and herds
    Serenely live while we are keeping strife
    With Heaven's true purpose in us, as a knife
    Against which we may struggle. Ocean girds
    Unslackened the dry land: savannah-swards
    Unweary sweep: hills watch, unworn; and rife
    Meek leaves drop yearly from the forest-trees,
    To show, above, the unwasted stars that pass
    In their old glory. O thou God of old!
    Grant me some smaller grace than comes to these; --
    But so much patience, as a blade of grass
    Grows by contented through the heat and cold


    so much love,
    morgan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.