~'Miracles occur naturally as expressions of love. The real miracle is the love that inspires them. In this sense everything that comes from love is a miracle.' ~ (Meditations from a Course in Miracles)
~'For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.'~ (The Magician's Nephew, book one of The Chronicles of Narnia)
For the last three days, I've been reading to Sage the beginning of one of her favorite chronicles (and mine!): that of the fantastical world of Narnia, how it came to be and, interestingly enough, the role humans played in it from the get-go. Many would say it's just a childhood fantasy, yet I'm not so sure about that. Its author C.S. Lewis seems to have a curiosity and connection to things spiritual and divine, questions of God, love, rebirth, renewal, what is eternal and therefore what actually matters in this life. Being in this particularly intense world where life really and truly is right now and could shift at any given moment, the current runs deep as to seeing and realizing the worlds of which Lewis writes.
It's a funny thing, being here in the ICU. It's a world that you hardly know or even consider at all, and then when you are in it, it becomes the only one you know. Time slips away and is measured in the path of the sun across the sky. Days go by and I have to remember to ask the date and what day of the week it might possibly be. I have my own rituals that until two weeks ago would be unfathomable. Getting up and moving from the chair by the bed, eating food made by unknown hands, excessive amounts of underclothing, showering late at night, sleeping on a cot. Finding comfort in the path I follow to my bathroom of choice, to the same stall that each time provides a strange familiar solace. An odd gift of privacy, in this world that has none, where nothing - and I mean nothing - is hidden.
So this story, "The Magician's Nephew". It's an interesting read at any time and yet there is something about it right now that's so close to the bone, as they say. About worlds that are there which we tend not to access, worlds that are called into birth and ones that die away. Newness. Life. Regret. Anger. Birth. Decay. Death. Recovery. Angst. Joy. Choice. What it is that, when there seems to be absolutely nothing, is the thing that brings the cure, holds the salve, discovers the touch.
It's a wonderful story, full of imagery, wonder, fantasy and curiosity that takes me out of the here and now of medications, tubing, numbers, containers, monitors and measurements of everything Sage's body does: fluid intake and output, oxygen saturation of her blood, heart rate at any given time, blood pressure and what that means and can mean (which raises my own blood pressure), and the machine, always the machine, which inflates her lungs and relentlessly pumps air into them. As we hear of Narnia, Aslan, the white witch and talking animals, the present world Sage and I physically inhabit fades just a bit. I focus less on the people in the white coats and green scrubs (don't get me wrong, I've come to look for, feel affection toward, and admire them), who constantly and consistently come in and out, back and forth, monitoring and checking on Sage's progress-lack of progress-dip-forward movement-trends-like-dislikes-signs-numbers. When they come, I look to Sage, check with Peter Rabbit, and silently bless them.
It's the only thing I can do, really. I can't see any other way; it's part of the "positive energy" that is absolutely a basis of Sage's course of care -according to me. I don't really know if it's a bit off. I'm not really sure if anyone considers the sign on Sage's door that has been placed there by yours truly, which reads: HEY! GOOD JOU JOU ONLY! THAT MEANS ~POSITIVE THINKING / LOVING ATTITUDE / ~ STRESS-FREE ZONE/ THIS MEANS YOU! NO MATTER YOUR CONNECT TO THIS HEALING SPACE! - FAMILY FRIEND OR MEDICAL MIRACLE MAKERS! FIND THE GOOD, BRING IT IN!
Is this new age? ridiculous? absurd? grasping at straws? worthy of consideration? You hear people say things like, 'well the ICU patients who get better are the ones whose families are really involved' or 'even though she will have no memory of this, she can hear you and knows you're here'....so then, if this is true, it would then follow that what occurs around Sage's space AND how anyone enters into it could be as important as the medical and numbers component. I know there are plenty of people who think it's nonsense, that it's up to the body and no matter what you do, it's all just going to go the way it's going to go. I guess I just happen to have a different opinion, along with empirical evidence from our three months in the NICU 19 years ago, that the miracle can be attained and you have to visualize it into existence. I've been here before, I know this world. My own memory body serves my anxiety as well as my resoluteness. And if I know any one true thing, it is just as Lewis intimates: there is a symbiotic relationship between your experience of seeing, hearing, living - and who you are.
Sage is alright. I just know this. I cannot explain it, the why or the how. It just is this way, and believe me, I have no rose-colored glasses on. I know the meaning of the furtive looks, furrowed brows, breath slightly held, words carefully chosen. I know I know I really deeply know all too well what is at stake - and I call forth some other knowledge that comes to me when I least expect it. I have come to read the language of those caring for Sage as much as the numbers they interpret. Worlds that are out there and here right now, open to being accessed, if we just dial in.
Speaking of which:
my lovely Lucy, dearest niece and birthday cousin to Nathan called me up the other day and confirmed that she is most definitely dialed in.... She wanted to tell me two things, her mama said. Okay, yes and good, I need a reprieve. And in that voice that only she possesses, Lucy brought me back to wonder and to knowing that the God of details and small ones works in profound and mysterious ways:
"Blessing to Sagey," she said over the phone. "Blessing for Sagey. Sophie is sad. And I love Sagey and Sophie." Her mantra continued - blessing for Sagey, blessing for Sagey - and I stayed with that small steady voice, holding onto it as long as I could, finding a comfort in it beyond measure. Holy hell, she knows me better than I do myself, I realized - the wisdom of this child, to know such truth and speak it.
Yes Lucy I am sad, sad beyond the world of words. I can't uncover it right now or peek under the mantle. It's too soon, too soon, just not time to go there - and besides, Sagey Bug would have NONE of it!!
So I temper myself and hold the course. I focus on what my Vancouver friend Ann McQueen sent to me, that the Navaho believe that when someone is ill like this, their spirit is on a quest while their body remains. We are here to stay with and by their body so that the spirit can find what it needs to learn and know, and then return.
So I wait for Sage to return. Blessing Sagey. Blessing to Sagey. I love Sagey.
Sage is alright. I just know this. I cannot explain it, the why or the how. It just is this way, and believe me, I have no rose-colored glasses on. I know the meaning of the furtive looks, furrowed brows, breath slightly held, words carefully chosen. I know I know I really deeply know all too well what is at stake - and I call forth some other knowledge that comes to me when I least expect it. I have come to read the language of those caring for Sage as much as the numbers they interpret. Worlds that are out there and here right now, open to being accessed, if we just dial in.
Speaking of which:
my lovely Lucy, dearest niece and birthday cousin to Nathan called me up the other day and confirmed that she is most definitely dialed in.... She wanted to tell me two things, her mama said. Okay, yes and good, I need a reprieve. And in that voice that only she possesses, Lucy brought me back to wonder and to knowing that the God of details and small ones works in profound and mysterious ways:
"Blessing to Sagey," she said over the phone. "Blessing for Sagey. Sophie is sad. And I love Sagey and Sophie." Her mantra continued - blessing for Sagey, blessing for Sagey - and I stayed with that small steady voice, holding onto it as long as I could, finding a comfort in it beyond measure. Holy hell, she knows me better than I do myself, I realized - the wisdom of this child, to know such truth and speak it.
Yes Lucy I am sad, sad beyond the world of words. I can't uncover it right now or peek under the mantle. It's too soon, too soon, just not time to go there - and besides, Sagey Bug would have NONE of it!!
So I temper myself and hold the course. I focus on what my Vancouver friend Ann McQueen sent to me, that the Navaho believe that when someone is ill like this, their spirit is on a quest while their body remains. We are here to stay with and by their body so that the spirit can find what it needs to learn and know, and then return.
So I wait for Sage to return. Blessing Sagey. Blessing to Sagey. I love Sagey.




Wow, Sophie. When it comes to the non-medical side of healing, you're giving it to Sage in spades! You're amazing!
ReplyDeleteHope the repositioning is going well.
Love,
The Berryhills
Dear Sophie:
ReplyDeleteYour abundance of love and positive attitude will pull her through. Give "our favorite blond" a special hug from all of us and be sure to give Nathan a 16th birthday hug tomorrow as well.
Love, Donna, Ray & Courtney
Sophie, Your writing is amazing to me... always has been. We are sending you all big hugs and love. Happy Birthday to Nathan..leos in the house! Love, Brennan, Chris, Isaiah and Imani
ReplyDeleteMany loving blessings to you from our hearts to yours:
ReplyDeleteWith love.
Patti McNulty
(Severna Park, MD)
Oh Sophie,
ReplyDeleteThis post here is the stuff that love is made of !
In fact, my dear comrade, the image of Sage's door and the messages that you wrote there about bringing in the positive ONLY was really just THE BEST THING I HAVE HEARD!
Go positive thinking! Do your stuff and show us all
How
it
is
done.
You Sage and your mom are something quite wonderful.
LOVE!
Elizabeth Doshi
Hey, it's after midnight in your time zone. Happy Birthday to Nathan! And happy birthing day to Sophie. :-)
ReplyDeleteSoph,
ReplyDeleteThank you for being you and sharing with all of us this amazing journey you and Sage are on... Your writing is extraordinarily descriptive, I see myself right there with you and Sage and Peter Rabbit, the doctors, the nurses and all the tubes. This really helps me feel connected so please don't stop. I left my heart in New Hampshire, please tell Bug that I'm still there in spirit. I love you both.
Your writing is so beautiful to read and your descriptions bring tears to my eyes. Thank you for being you and sharing your journey with us.
ReplyDeleteHugs and lots of love,
Lara
sophie,
ReplyDeleteyour words of love and spiritual eternal hope are so powerful, they touch my heart through to my soul all the way across oceans, time zones, internet virtual cables.
they touch the world, the universe and most importantly they cradle your magnificent sage with love, wisdom and the eternal mother hug
we continue to follow you both on this difficult life journey, with prayer, song, tears sometimes always hope love energy yours susie
Sophie,
ReplyDeleteyou are a strong woman and a wonderful writer! thank you for this blog.
when sage and i were little pre-teens (which doesn't seem that long ago, really), we used to be so tight we could have long conversations purely through eye contact. i know we still have this bond, and i'm right there with you!
and another thing: i thought sage (and you) would probably love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y
lots of love,
julia
Still sending love and positive thoughts to you and Sage and Nathan.
ReplyDeleteCarol, Nick and Kids
thank you Sophie for this marvelous opportunity to connect with you so deeply - your heartfelt words, shared here, are priceless. The energy and love of this now world wide community of close friends and family and those of us who have only had a short time to get to know you and Nathan (in North Van) is remarkable. You hold that space for us to be included in the loving circle for Sage. Blessings to you, my dear and all those awaiting Sage's return from her Spirit Quest. xoxo
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, powerful woman you are Sophie! Love is the most extraordinary natural resource and when we tap into it..........well, the possibilities are endless and miracles abound. You are fueled by love and ignite all those around you. xxx
ReplyDeleteI love it. And I believe it.
ReplyDeleteThere is truth to Aslan's singing the world into being; no matter how science measures it/explains it/denies it, it is true.
Sage is being sung into being. And the more that we can recognize and create space for that -while letting the scientists tend to her body- the better.
You are on the front lines, Sophie, but you are not alone. We are holding light for Sage all across the country. We are standing vigil too.
Blessings to you. You are reminding us of strength for Truth.
Light and love to you, Sage! Be filled.
- Cecilia Murray
Love you, Sophie, sister at first sight...I circle and choose my same resting spots, favorite chair, stall...though your world has been transformed, we're here with you, on the quest, trying our best to hold the light of love and perfect health, with your precious daughter always present in our hearts. May this story have the perfect happy ending, and someday you'll come back to us again in Ukiah which I hope becomes that special, circling around, personal spot. Thanks for your clarity of vision and willingness to share it. Sage could not be held in better hands, as you lovingly link us all altogether in a pure vision of vibrant health and sure-footed recovery.
ReplyDeleteDear Sophie, positive energy, strength and hope, and abundant love - of course! - are critical to Sage's recovery, along with the medical science AND medical art! There are many things science just cannot explain. Keep believing, keep doing what you know you have to do, no matter what. Many times a day I think of Sage, you, your family, and your many wonderful friends, and send positive loving thoughts and energy north to all of you, and prayers for Sage's continuing sure, steady, strong recovery!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Nathan!
ReplyDeleteLove, Lyn, Rick,& Devin
Dear Sophie, This is a great piece of open-hearted writing, and I
ReplyDeleteenjoyed this sharing of your every-day life at the hospital. I am
sure that being in ICU for so long has made you realize what's
important in life, and that even if life is sometimes difficult,
there's nothing like it!
I hope Sage will give us today, for her brother's and her little-
cousin's birthday, some POSITIVE sign that she is comfortable and
making progress. This is our only wish for today, and I really hope
that she will manage something of the kind. Thinking of you as ever,
and sending all the love we can give. Suzy and Sandro
Hi Ms. Donpineo,
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking and praying for you all the time. I know you have been taking good care of Sage and I know that she will come back!
With love from
Anna McKee
Just sent you an email Sophie. Hey, keep those posts coming! While we all try to tune in, it's great to get the updates on what's going on right there where it's happening. So keep them coming!!
ReplyDelete