Thursday, August 19, 2010
Salutations from the fierce and faithful protector, Sir Peter Rabbit, Order of the Protectorate of Small Ones 08/19/10
I salute you one and all, from my position that remains closest to my Sage.I am happy to report that my Sage is finding rest, in this ongoing stream of people and pokes and noises in the night, and that I remain close by her - closer, I might add, than all the humans around her, for I remain next to her, never more than a whisker's distance from her. I sit when needed, lie down if necessary, stand tall resolutely or find myself diving below the covers to keep solace with her while the humans make their talk. I give my head for my Sage to rest her hand upon and my fine tail to grab when there is pain. I see the details of her fingers and the workings of her heart. I have come to know what everything means, in this world of the white coats.
I watch the breathing machine and I breathe with it, for her. I have come to know every inch and crevice of this resting place, this machine of a bed that can move my Sage so that her body will not find itself quite so sore. It is like riding on one of those great giant puffy clouds that move across the sky that I watch them from my post upon the bed of air. I whisper to my Sage of the adventures we have still yet to find. I imagine and wonder with as much fierceness I can muster - being only a rabbit and a small one at that - at the magical places and moments and creatures and humans in this world we have yet to discover, together.
I do believe that my whisperings make a difference at this time to my Sage. How do you know this, you ask? My goodness what a question. All I know is that it is what we who protect the small ones do, as often and as easily as breathing. It is our very nature to bring the magic that I think you humans call love, that no one else can find quite like us, in the quiet corners of the night. It is what I have done from the very moment I came to this small one, and it is what I will continue to do as long as I am by her side.
Not that I do not learn from the humans. I watch them. I see in their eyes the gifts they bring. They know who they are and the comfort of stillness that their presence brings. The wise elder one, this one who sits with my Sage even now and simply holds her hand. No need for words. When this one is near, I can rest, even though I am only a rabbit, and a small one at that.
And then there are the ones who are most precious to Sage, and she to them. The ones who brought life to her and have tended to her needs. The one who sings to her, softly but clearly enough so that I can hum her words in the wee hours of the night, when she the singing one goes to rest. I cannot remember all the words, but that voice of this human protector of my Sage causes me such drowsiness; it is like the ocean and the sunset together. I will muster myself for a moment and see if I can find them.
Ah yes, here they are:
... ~ Sleep my child and peace attend thee, all through the night/ guardian angels God will send thee, all through the night/ soft the drowsy hours are creeping, hill and dale in slumber sleeping/ I my loved ones' watch is keeping, all through the night ~ ...
And then there is the other one, the quiet one, my Sage's other human protector. He comes in the night and sits all through the darkness with my Sage. He calls her 'my Sagey Bug' and strokes her hand. He speaks the stories of their days together and the ones that are yet to come. He came across the sea on a giant something or other and I would so very much like to speak to him of this, but I am only a rabbit, and a rather shy one at that. He talks of this and many other adventures. My ears perk up and my eyes glisten when he speaks of such things. There is a softness in his eyes which drives away what he calls 'the ouchies'.
My Sage knows all who are near her, even with the sleepy medicine. As she comes back from the land of light and mist, I stand with her, as do all these humans both near and far. She is returning, slowly, to be sure. I never doubted for a moment it would not be so.
How do you know this, you ask? My goodness, what a question. I do not ask so many questions, but I will say just this once, with politeness between my whiskers, how could you not know this? I know it as I know the scent of dew upon the grass and the warmth of my Sage's hand.
But I am only a rabbit, and a small and shy one at that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Courage little bunny, courage.
ReplyDeleteAll my love, Cynthia Watson
We salute thee, mighty Sir Rabbit! Your strength and courage while standing (sitting) for Sage is remarkable (hence my remarks). :-)
ReplyDeleteKatie Berryhill
Do not worry for a moment dear Sir Rabbit, there are so many of us who know your qualities, some magical! I count you as one of Sage's most steady blessings! And thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteSoft squeezes to you faithful friend,
Elizabeth Doshi
I am thinking of how Sage will love reading your words one day soon, when she is feeling much better. You are a faithful friend, Sir Rabbit!
ReplyDeleteBetsy Peck
That is some rabbit! We got a love here in Brooklyn for that girl Sage, and we are sending her the love.
ReplyDeleteSir Rabbit.... the protector
ReplyDeleteYou don't know us but we are sending prayers and well wishes for Sage everyday although we have never met her... Sage's story/prayers are reaching far and wide...
We are co-workers with Emily Dewire from MTI in Plympton, MA.
Emily will be coming to visit Sage within the week... she is bringing a special gift for Sage that will aide her with healing... a medicine bag made especially for Sage to assist her in her life journeys.
Sir Rabbit, life is filled with miracles everyday! The most important thing is to recognize them when they happen... we are all sharing in one as we watch and pray for Sage's complete recovery... this young lady has a lot of work to do here and she will continue to make a difference in the world.
Here is to continued hope, healing, prayers and strength for Sage and the loved ones waiting... and to Sage's angels... add a touch of Rose Quartz, a tad of Lapis Lazuli and a smidgen of Amethyst and lets get this young lady back on her feet!
From an animal ally and protector,
Michelle Rogers
A request from a Peter rabbit in Arkansas to a Peter rabbit in New Hampshire,
ReplyDeleteTell the bug we miss her down here in arkansas! We can't wait to show her around the deep south- the wide open land with corn and cotton planted perfectly in rows waiting to be harvested and shared around the country. Each day is filled with so much music and life that it just flows into everyone down here- I even feel it in my little white tail. I've been capturing these vibes and am sending them up to you through the bunny mail so make sure you keep a whisker out for them. Tell sage one more thing from us- keep fighting the good fight! You've held your ground, don't give in and don't give up.
You are always in our prayers, can't wait to see you soon- hopefully on the beach in Rehoboth!
Love you lots,
Peter rabbit dewire (and Jane)