Sunday, August 8, 2010

Salutations from the fierce and faithful protector, Sir Peter Rabbit, Order of the Protectorate of Small Ones 08/08/10

Greetings.
It has taken an inordinately long amount of time for someone to position me on this blog - a most distressing word for a rabbit, I must say. But by chattering my teeth at enough people, I am at last able to bring my salutations from where I sit, as I always have, by the side of my Sage.
Now you must understand that I did not always call this human that I belong to as 'my Sage'. For much of that early time, she was known to me as 'the small one'. Starting out in such a position that I have held now for 19 years, one does not refer to one's human with the name given by family and destiny, until it is agreed upon by both rabbit and small one. When that moment presents itself, well that is always a mystery and involves magic of which I cannot speak, and it is a moment known only to myself and to her. This is how it has been always throughout the ages, and this credo will continue, along with time.
Before we are sent to our small one, we rabbits are asked to give ourselves a name to be known by, a talisman of sorts for the journey and task ahead of us. When it was determined I would be going to this particular small one, all those years ago, I was most excited. My ears perked up, my whiskers straightened, my eyes glistened. I was asked, as is the custom, how I would be like to be known and I boldly declared myself as "Sir Peter Rabbit, fierce and faithful protector, Order of the Protectorate of Small Ones".
And then it was time for me to begin my destiny and chart my course with this human.
I have done my utmost to protect her with fierceness and fidelity in my heart. It has been at times somewhat of a tribulation, mostly because people think I am only a rabbit, and an old and stubbly one at that. It seems difficult for these humans to hear what is being told to them; maybe that is because they are so busy talking. But in the times of my Sage's greatest needs(and with additional fierceness), I found the special ones who heard the message I sent, and got the help required.
This most recent briar patch has been particularly thorny and yet I am happy to report we are making our way out of it. I have to sometimes let my Sage know that she needs to slow down and listen to the doctors and other humans caring for her, that she has to know when to fight and when to allow the medicine and the great pumping machines to do their work. She is extremely bold and feisty and 'full of beans', as I have heard in expression. I remind her that certain language is best left between the ears. What does that uncle of hers say, a mouth like a sailor.....I tend to the fears she harbors that only I can hear. I whisper constantly that her mother, grandmothers, Aunt Hilary, Uncle Timothy, brother Nathan, father, cousins, uncles, aunts, friends, so many, so many,  are by her side in this circle of health and healing. They care for my Sage and carry her, as much as they can.
I let her know that I can sense at once the heart of the doctors, full of warmth and boldness, that her nurses and breathing people are mighty with courage and grace. In this room, by the side of my Sage, I see the beauty of the humans flow forth and shine. This gives me rest.
My Sage is healing and she will be returning to us. If I know one thing about this one of mine, it is this: she knows herself well. She knows what she has to do. And she cannot be pushed too far - if you do, you will cause great suffering unto yourself, not at all to her. As she says herself, "it is better to be pissed off than pissed on." An indelicate expression and topic, I must say, but she does have a habit of speaking her mind. But this one true thing I know: she is absolutely spot on and picture perfect. I watch her, I know her. I see the light shining forth from all parts of her.
My Sage has much to do in this earthly world. She and I and all of us together have places to go, people to see, things to do. I count on her as much as she counts on me, and I know that the journey of the heart will continue,
with my Sage and her Sir Peter Rabbit, fierce and faithful protector, Order of the Protectorate of Small Ones.

7 comments:

  1. The love and support for Sage—family, friends, strangers—brings tears to my eyes...it is so profound and beautiful. Sage, by who she is, has inspired a community of love and caring that focuses utterly, fully, on the well being of one other human being. This...certainly, truly...is what it is to be human.

    You've created a tribe beyond your family and friends, Sage. Thank you for this, among all your other rare gifts. You and I have never met but I love your Uncle Timothy and your Aunt Kira, and look forward to meeting you.

    Ann Gollin

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hensley familyAugust 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM

    We continue to pray for, think about, talk about and hope in a BIG BIG way for Sage's recovery and for her strength and for Sophie's too.
    Sending a lot of love and compassion.
    The Hensley family
    Todd, Jen, Tommy, Marky and Will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter, Rose, graduated with Sage from the Waldorf High School.
    I was one of the fortunate few parents to be regularly at the School
    with her class...serving hot lunch and other volunteer activiites. I
    was able to observe them all, and at times have a conversation or two.
    This was true with Sage. I can't put my finger on it but I don't
    imagine many people would forget talking to Sage. In my case I have
    forgotten the words but at this important time I find myself talking
    to her and I suspect she can hear. I imagine in return that she knows
    that things will be OK. That just seems in keeping with the "Sage"
    that I observed at School. Mac Hartley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sophie, Sage and all the family,

    I am very grateful I will be able to send you this message via Tim.
    I was so afraid with my little knowledge of technology I would delete all the sent posts if I would reply to them.
    Thank you very much Sophie for sharing all the wonderful, moving updates.
    Every morning and night I am picking up your beautiful writings and messages and I go through all the feelings, emotions and pain you and your family are going through each day.
    I am joining your family and friends every day in my prayers for sweet, lovely, beautiful Sage, that she will get back to you all and friends in her fight against this terrible overwhelming illness.
    I am convinced she feels the love, prayers and positive energy around her and from far away, which will bring strength to her and all the family.
    I am in contact with my family all the time and our prayers are with Sage every day.
    I have this wonderful picture of Sage hanging in my bedroom, where this beautiful girl is standing next to me. Ever since I went to celebrate with you all her 18th. birthday at your house in Annapolis, it has been hanging there. I am so thankful you sent this one to me at that time.
    Her 18th. birthday was so special and everybody was so happy to see her making plans to go to college soon.
    My heart and healing thoughts are with you in these most difficult times of your lives.
    Thank you again Sophie for your efforts and strengths to send these artful, beautiful writings and pictures every day.
    God bless you, your Sage and wonderful, strong family .
    Lots of love, always, Flora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you love and prayers from Berkeley, CA. We love you all and think you are an amazing crew. Love Brennan, Chris, Isaiah, Imani, Timon(doggie), and the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys have some good writers in the family. Very sweet post :)
    Glad to hear Sage's 'numbers' are stable today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant and beautiful and worthy of "the small one"....

    love,
    morgan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.