Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 29, 10 p.m. medical update


Sage is in the house!
She is doing things right now that are amazing and miraculous, given where we were just a short five days ago, or even two.
Today, Sage had Physical Therapy with Gina who worked her hard. Sage did so well that she got positioned in the green chair and stayed sitting up for three hours, looking out the window onto the green horizon. She proceeded for the rest of the afternoon to express herself and communicate with those around her by nodding yes or no, pointing at what she wanted, and looking at people. She laughed at postcards received of scantily dressed men (please keep those coming! as laughter is excellent medicine) and was very interested in hearing about her cousins. She was excited to hear that Alex had made the Junior Varsity Soccer team, knew that Christian was going to Virginia Tech,  that Luke would be going to Rome on Monday for the semester and Megan to Edinburgh.
She shed many a tear as Pop talked about Annapolis, eating crabs and ice cream, her spring break vacation in Florida, and returning to Guilford. She started to read cards from friends but was not able to continue, as her emotions got the better of her - which is understandable and also so healthy to express.
Remarkably, Sage now suctions her own mouth and secretions with the suctioning hose. It sounds like the one at the dentist, so Sage is involved in her own hygiene and care!
She smiled when she heard that Uncle Tim, Aunt Kira and Lucy were coming to visit next week, that Pop was going to be here for awhile and that Gramma was coming back next week. Having friends and family visit makes such a tremendous difference....
She expressed that she was thirsty and was able to take in cold ice water with a swab in her mouth (almost like a sponge lollipop that absorbs water).
Sage gesticulated that she wanted the blinds down in the room (it gets warm in the late afternoon) and have more of Narnia read to her. Book Two is now finished, so it is onto the next one: 'The Horse and his Boy'.
She exercised and flexed toes and feet on her own and lets people know when she is uncomfortable.
Sage is doing so well that Nurse Jane tomorrow will work on getting her outside, so stay tuned! Jane will also work on getting a land line in Room 12, so that she may take calls....
And medically, Sage is making remarkable strides and doing great, according to her medical team.
We give thanks for such a day and for your continued love, support, prayers and positive, positive energy and thoughts. Thank you.
Sleep well and blessings to all.

14 comments:

  1. All of this is true, as attested by Mr. James ( Pops) Don and Mme. Marguerite Ris, present and accounted for in Room 12, this 27th day of August in the Year of Our Lord, 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sage! We think about you every day and are working on good jou jou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Smokes this girl is on fire!!! Wonderful to hear such huge changes happening in only 2 days. Sounds like the good jou jou came popping out of some sort of bottle neck and is reaching its destination freely now :). Keep up the super work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: You gotta get skype and a webcam, so Nathan can make you laugh from Germany!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Spirits lifted everywhere! Candle is ablaze each day, burning for you. Robyn Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto... You rock, Dude!! Feel like a good yuck over some snarky comebacks? Read on:

    =======
    Man: So, what's your sign?
    Woman: No Entry

    Man: I know how to please a Woman.
    Woman: Well, please leave me alone.

    Man: Is this seat empty?
    Woman: Yes, and this one will be too, if you sit down.

    Man: Your place or mine?
    Woman: Both. You are going to yours, and I'm going to mine.

    Friend: I've changed my mind...
    You: Excellent, so does the new one work better?

    You: Don't get lost in thought; you'll be a total stranger there.

    You: You’re having delusions of competence.

    You: I wish we were better strangers.

    You: I would love to insult you, but you wouldn't understand.

    You: Thinking isn't your strong point, is it?

    You: I like you more the less I see you.

    You: You're someone who would make a perfect stranger.

    You: I'd like to say I'm glad you’re here; I'd like to say it.
    =======

    Ok. Now it's your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Sage! Inspiration to us all!
    Cynthia Watson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallelujah! A most excellent start to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooraaaaaayyyy!!! This is such exciting news!!!! Way to go, Sage!!!!

    love, love, love Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so happy to hear!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. timothy kira and lucyAugust 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

    oh bug we are so proud of you. can't wait to see you! Lucy is asking about you all the time. xo t

    ReplyDelete
  12. SAGEacceptnosubsutes--I AM SOOOVERY WOWED BY YOU--- YOUE ARE ON YOUR PATH AND I AM SOOO GRATEFUL THAT THE FIRE LIVES IN YOU!!

    SOPHIE I AM ALSO GRATEFUL THAT SAGE CHOSE YOU TO BE HER MOTHER AND I THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO BE A PART OF TEAM SAGE
    I HAVE ALSO EXPERIENCED MORE DEEPLY THE ONENESS OF US ALL BECAUSE OF THE CIRCLE OF CARING YOU CREATE and i thank you and love you very much ----Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Great News Sage! How Blessed we all are to watch the miracle in you
    Holding you in light........Much love,
    Patti..xo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.