Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 21, 8 a.m. medical and shared prayer/meditation update

Good Morning from Sage's bedside.
The medical team will be discussing, among other issues today on rounds, the possibility of Sage undergoing surgery for the placement of an endotracheal tube. A tracheotomy, while at this point in time would be an elective surgery, is still surgery. The reasoning behind this is due to the fact that Sage has been on a ventilator for 21 days now, and while she has made remarkable improvement in the last six days, the road continues to be a long one.
It is uncertain when she will be able to breathe on her own without the support of a ventilator, and to prevent further damage to her windpipe and lungs, a tracheotomy will be discussed and could be performed as early as this afternoon. Having this procedure done could also expedite Sage's dependency on the ventilator, as it would allow her to be able to be moved a bit more easily and receive therapy for her muscle tone and overall health. Again, in this world, another benefit of an endotracheal tube is that it is less invasive and more relatively 'comfortable' than the present tube that Sage is now breathing through.
On another note that might seem non-medical: every morning at 9 a.m. EST, an intention is set for the day by Sophie and all others who are dialing in....if you can join us at that time, no matter your time zone, it would be greatly appreciated. Whatever your intention may be for Sage will only bring light and power to the ones already set, so please join us. The power of prayer, community, connection and intentional thought makes a difference. 
The 9 a.m. dial in will continue ongoingly, so as Aretha Franklin sings, "I say a little prayer for you, forever and ever....", and join us for a minute, or five, ten or however much of the morning moment you desire.
Blessings. Onward and upward.

9 comments:

  1. Hello! Morning and hello Sage!
    We keep on moving!
    I saw a tiny, tiny moth today just by chance and I thought to myself.
    Here is a beautiful thing.
    Here is love
    again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie Sage and Nathan! 9am EST - out here in California we'll rise and shine at 6 and say a little prayer for you...

    The moment I wake up
    Before I put on my makeup
    I say a little prayer for you
    While combing my hair, now
    And wondering what dress to wear, now
    I say a little prayer for you

    Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart
    And I will love you

    Sage we are loving you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have that song ringing around my head today - thinking of Sage and all of you. Such great progress - we will all just keep up the love and energy for continued healing! xo to all of you! Love from Victoria, BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie,
    Thanks for the song! I will be singing and praying all day now. I love you guys... thinking of you at all times of the day and night and sending my love, stength and peace. Soph you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie, we continue to cheer Sagey on forever and ever! Love, Lyn, Rick, & Devin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you both!
    Sending good movement to that right side.
    Much love, Cordula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophie and Sage, my preschool class prays everyday at 9am. We will be starting school on Monday the 23rd, we will have you on our prayer list. The teachers have been praying for you everyday as I found out about your illness while we were all at training. They ask about you always and are following this blog. Lots of love and hugs coming your way. Alex and the staff and students of Ashley River Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete
  8. timothy, kira, lucyAugust 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

    We are thinking of you sophie, and of sage and mum and katherine and all the caregivers at DHMC, all the time. You are always in our prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't forgotten all of you whose vigil gives more immediate spirit to Sage's journey. Our thoughts and wishes are with you every day. Wendel and Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.