It's almost 1 a.m. and to get through that rough patch of 1-3 a.m., I wake up to discover the most potent weapon against the demons of doubt: humor.
All is well with Sage right now. She sleeps peacefully and I have been holding her right hand and keeping it warm while Peter Rabbit is fiercely protecting and sitting upon her left hand. Nurse Jen who is yet another angel in disguise - along with Nurses Jane, Molly, Jeannette and Anne, I know I've forgotten someone?! but will get you in here! - reports that Sage's output and input in terms of fluid is almost equal. That is awesome!!! pee has never been so profound!
T aka Timothy aka Nooley aka Amor de Cosmos is camped out on the other recliner chair on the other side of Sage's bed. He has a rather extraordinary outfit in which to be sleeping: plaid shorts, black pointy toed leather boots with black socks poking over the tops and a ratty sweatshirt with the hood over his head. There is a salamander-ish, perhaps even Gecko-like persona to his appearance.
He reports from somewhere in the muffled interior of his hoodie that he feels like the only thing keeping him awake is (and I quote): "my left eyeball. It's just dangling there and saying, don't forget about me!" I really want to ask if it is his left eyeball that is speaking right now but am getting a bit giddy.
He - or his left eyeball - then goes on to talk about how (and I quote again): "my mouth feels like a pavement right now and I could fell a horse with my breath...." it is only then that I decide to take my own dental hygiene into account and go to floss, brush, gargle with Biotene Dry Mouth mouthwash (HIGHLY recommended), so I leave the ICU and beetle down the hall to the bathroom.
Where I come upon my second maurice sendak moment of the night. There, in the waiting room area that Sage's posse (look for photos later of this group) effectively hijacked for the first three days of being here with food stuffs, beverages, ipods, 24 cellphones, laptops, mountains of bags, pillows and blankets that effectively turned the place into a Bedouin tent, is Jen aka Jennifer aka Jenny aka the one and only Mrs. Frank Jernigan! (as of July 3rd). aka Agent Jernigan - but that is a post for another day......
Jen has somehow managed to procure a bench that before this moment, did not exist in this hospital: it seems to be queen sized. It looks exceedingly comfortable. It might even have a mattress. Even more remarkable is the fact that she seems to be sleeping on Laura Ashley sheets. Or egyptian cotton. Or Laura Ashley egyptian cotton sheets.
Gee whiz she's good. I don't know where she finds these things, but Jen is definitely friends with the right people in housekeeping.
I am afraid the salamander might have lost his left eyeball to the pavement of his mouth, so I have to sign off for now. But seriously, I am not making any of this up. You are my witness. xoxosophie
Giddy is good, Sophie. The demons hate giddy, and they'll run away. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHumor keeps us sane and happy--both good things. It is soul-warming to hear your humor. I know you are exhausted, but what a group you have to lean on. The Don extended family is a force, but of course we have always known that. And for our part, we still are keeping you and Sage lifted in the light. Beth
ReplyDeleteNo medicine like humor, and who better to serve it up than Maurice Sendak! Sounds like you're hanging in there with great strength and fortitude, and that Sage is quietly but persistently fighting the good fight. What a wonderful, strong supportive family you have, awesome that so many have joined you and Sage to share this journey! Steve, Don, Phil, Margaret, Faye and I, and too many others to name, are all praying for you, Sage and all your loved ones near and far, and sending all manner of positive energy and light! AND images of summer showers falling through a double rainbow! Hugs and kisses to you, Sage, and of course Peter Rabbit (aka "PP Bopbop" in my house!)
ReplyDelete