Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 54, afternoon update

A post was promised later on in the day on Saturday (seems so long ago that day!), and as time is elastic in this world, these words at last find their way here.
As of noon today, Tuesday, September 21, 2010, also apparently the International Day of Peace and the Autumnal Equinox, Sage is no longer a patient at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center here in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
She is discharged. In her street clothes. Out of the room and off the floor. No lines or numbers anywhere near her. Nothing that suggests anything of this marathon that, in her own words, "is coming to an end". Simply a gauze bandage at her neck, covered ever so stylishly by a wonderful blue scarf from her Baltimore cousins.
And so that's it. Is that it? That's it! or just the beginning.... The drive south to Maryland will start this afternoon with friend Margaret from Boston, friend Catherine from Severna Park, Pop and of course yours truly. A caravan down and past the trees, the leaves, the crisp air and the blue blue, oh so blue sky.
Sage was 'decannulated' yesterday morning; two members of her most awesome respiratory therapy team, Patrick and Kim, came in, took a look, popped it out and placed gauze on the stoma. With time, sleep, good nutrition and just strong young blood, it will close up of its own accord.
This is certainly not the last post, oh ho ho oh no. But this particular news just had to be shared with all of you, near and far, who have been here in the dark of night and the blaze of summer days.
Could you even all be named? Probably not, but certainly blessed and completely held like a blanket on the heart. Thank you, thank you and again thank you. Gratitude and joy abound. Thank you for being part of this journey, for being connected to it and being part of the miracle that has sourced it for so long.
Stay posted, peaceful and positive. Blessings on you, your day, your loves and your commitment to community, faith, love and connection.
Sage and most awesome Sasha, who was part of the team on July 29...
YES! shower and that power breakfast of sausage and more sausage....
Sage and most awesome Dr. Carroll, who was here for the beginning leg of the marathon
most awesome RT's Kim and Patrick

28 comments:

  1. Wooohooo! Enjoy all the catching up with life outside of DHMC. So so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! You have been in my thoughts! I'm still thinking about you all, now happily making your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best. News. Ever. !!!!! Have a fun and safe drive home. Revel in the newness of it all.

    Love,
    The Berryhills

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful to come here and read such great news, my heart and celebration are with all of you, safe journey home and a smooth re-entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news! Many more thoughts and prayers for the upcoming journey. So happy for all of you. What incredible strength and love!
    The Banes Family
    (Shannon Kalagher)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God! Your prayer and ours were answered. God bless!

    Erin (Kalagher)Meissner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. WHAT a journey! Congratulations, little family, for making it through with patience, sheer will and love. I am so relieved. Thank you for the wonderfulk news. Love, Teddy & Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful news !!! I am very relieved and so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow,there really are not words for this day. What an amazing journey, dear Sage and family... and thank you for sharing so it with us all. We are eager to hear of the next step. You are proof of the power of miracles and love! Best news I have heard in 54 days. Love, Brennan, Chris, Isaiah and Imani.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sage,
    I really don't have words. This means so much to me, and I can only imagine what it is for you and your family. Big! We remain with you on your journey as you progress amazingly along! Please stay connected, and thank you for sharing this experience with us.
    The Watsons

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this post aloud to Morgan this morning (it is Wednesday morning here in Antwerp) and I can't tell you how moved we were by it. By this whole terrible wonderful experience you've all had. Don't be afraid if we accost you all with hugs at the next Don family event! This beautiful, eloquent blog really made us feel like we went through this with you, in our little way. Sometimes the hardest thing to do in times of tragedy is to gather support, even when it's always the thing that's needed most. This blog built a community. It's a thing to be proud of, among so many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EXCELLENTE!
    Love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the news we have all been waiting for. We are so happy for you. Welcome back to the world on the "outside". We look forward to celebrating your miraculous journey when you arrive in Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sage and Sophie,
    You are a living, breathing, walking miracle! Thank you for bringing hope and light to my world!
    love,
    jaime

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, wonderful day! Just in time for the harvest moon.
    Hugs from California. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tears of Joy. I cant express my happiness and overwhelming joy that Sage has conquered this incredible feat. The world is a better a place with you in it Bug. HURRAY! so much love cuz

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the most wonderful news, we could not be any more happy for you Sage, you are a fighter and a true inspiration.

    Thinking of you warmly and wishing you continued strength!
    xoxo,
    Chris & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. What just happened?! I think we just witnessed a miracle. All those days ago it seemed hard to believe that this day would come. But come it did. Please keep us up on how you are all doing. I don't have your address in MD so if you can post that sometime I'd love to send along some well wishes by card.
    Keep strong and continue to take really excellent care of yourselves. That relaxing island vacation should definitely be booked for as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful news Sage! Congradulations and best of love to you and your family and friends.
    As always, I hold you dear in my heart taking a deep breath and holding space for you.
    Much love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such Great News - I can't wait to tell the girls! Love, Sandy, Richard, Alejandra and Issy

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading this I took a deep deep breathe in and let it out.............
    Ahhhh and I felt the autumn air around you, the leaves blowing.

    So there you go Sage.

    Steppin' out!
    xo
    Elizabeth Doshi

    ReplyDelete
  22. what wonderful news, i am overcome with joy for you sage, sophie, your family. safe trip home, we love you and continue to embrace you from across the oceans - dreaming of the day when we will hug you in person,
    lovelovelove susie and micha

    ReplyDelete
  23. it happened, just the way we dreamed and hoped and looked forward to and it happened so fast. amazing how the recovery process kicked in and ...there you are leaving the hospital with the balloons in one hand and blowing kisses towards the hospital staff with the other, what a picture ... would have loved to be there clapping my hands, witnessing these moments. all the best to you xxxooo micha and susie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Sage, Sophie and all,

    congratulations!!! What an amazing journey. Looks like you can finally turn the page and start a new chapter in life. Hurray! All the best, Marlis

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh, how the powers of love and faith can help to heal. fantastic news! (and for sage to be discharged on the 21st - that's a significant number in my life for many reasons.) looking forward to seeing you all soon.

    xoxo
    sunee (& spencer)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That smile - oh Sage your smile!!! We all here are yip-yippeeeing at this welling up with tears at this news!!! We give thanks and send hugs to you all - Sage what a fierce fight and Sophie and all of the family getting through each day and the longer nights praying for Sage. Hope these past nights in beds that smell and feel like family and home have been truly wonderful. This is such news. Love and cheers of hooray! On to more and more and more healing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. SAGE ALL I KNOW IS THAT THERE WAS A VERY HAPPY AND LOUD ANNOUCEMENT BY SOPHIE TELLING US " SAGE IS IN THE HOUSE" ----THE HOUSE YOU BUILT YOURSELF !!! Then you moved to a new neighborhood OUT of nunber 12 AND NOW YOUR'E HEADING HOME TO MD!!!!!! i have not written to you for a long time ----- I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU THAT I LOVE YOU TRULLY DEARLY .....MY EYES ARE FILLED LIKE DEEP WELLS OF WATER WITH HUMILITY AND GRATITUDE --I HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO WATCH AS YOU GAVE BIRTH TO YOUR VERY OWN SELF ===I SAW YOU CHOOSE TO BREATH, CHOOSE TO EAT CHOOSE TO WALK ,CHOOSE TO SLEEP AND WAKE UP, CHOOSE TO WRITE, CHOOSE TO READ, CHOOSE YOUR MUSIC, CHOOSE TO LAUGH CHOOSE TO SMILE CHOOSE TO SIT UP, CHOOSE TO CARE FOR YOURSELF , CHOOSE TO DRINK, CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE WITH AND WITHOUT YOUR VOICE, CHOOSE TO SWALLOW, AND I WON'T GO INTO THE BIOLOGY STUFF----SAGE THE LABOR PAINS DURING YOUR BIRTHING AND HEALING ARE UNIMAGINABLE AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOUR COURAGE AND HEART FORCES ARE GIFTS TO EVERYONE EVERY WHERE RIGHT NOW WHO ALSO STRUGGLE TO MEET WHAT EVER LIFE BRINGS THEM.

    I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!! I M OUT WEST SINCE EARLY SEPT; I AM GOING TO SEE YOU AND SOPHIE WHEN I GET BACK IN OCT!!!! \\\

    SOPHIE ---- I CANNOT GET THE PHOT OF YOU WITH SAGE ...THE ONE WITH NO CAPTION----IT NEEDS KNOW SCRIPT ---IT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL LOVE FILLED PORTRAIT OF A MOTHER'S LOVE FOR HER CHILD.... SOPHIE I AM OVER THE MOON WITH RESPECT AND LOVE ,
    AND APPRECIATION FOE YOU AND THE COURAGE YOU HAVE INFUSED AND EXEMPLIFIED----- ITS ANCIENT AND ETERNAL AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING YET IS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ALL. love to you --see you when i get back in oct. KEEP THE FAITH ...YHU ARE THE FAITH AND THE LESSON!!!!
    UNTIL SOON I AM STILL PRAYING AND DANCING AND FOR SAGE AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY LOVEY DOVEY DOMINIQUE

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.